Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Montessori Musings

My sweet Little Bear is really having problems learning using traditional methods.  (Well, not entirely traditional because we use a very Charlotte Mason style school)  Thus, I've been looking into Montessori method for teaching.

 I think I'm a little bit in love.  I'm so sad that I never found this for the other children when they were younger.  It is so exciting.

A few hallmarks of the Montessori method are :
* characterized by an emphasis on independence, freedom within limits, and respect for a child’s natural psychological, physical, and social developmenthttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montessori_education ) 
* mixed age classes
* child sized materials
" 'discovery' model, where students learn concepts from working with materials, rather than by direct instruction" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montessori_education
* beautiful well-made materials 

I love the sense of peace that I get watching all the children working on their activities.  I love that Bear can practice an activity over and over again until he has mastered it. I like that there is hands- on learning  rather than lots of teacher led instruction.  

There are several components to the Montessori Primary (ages 3-6) program.  Math, Language, Sensorial, and Practical Life.  Last night I ransacked  rearranged our playroom to have an even larger area for school.  This way I can give the kids more choices to work on.  the bulk of the older kids work is still the same, but I will also provide them with some Montessori activities, especially in the arts and sciences.  With Pookie and Little Bear I am focusing on math, practical life and sensorial.  the language activities we've been using are working for us, so that is pretty far down the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment