Tuesday, February 23, 2010

No way to win

I have a neighbor who needs help, and I have no idea how to help her. She is an older lady and has no family close by. Although she's always been a little . . . um . . . different, her behavior is becoming quite alarming. She is forgetting things like the date or where she put things or that we homeschool (something that she definitely knows because we're talked about it many times. She is worried that she will be put in a mental treatment center and will nod off during conversations. I think she could be suffering from from some sort of mental condition like depression (almost certainly), paranoia, or dementia. I'm so worried about her because as with many older people she has a lot of medication and I'm not sure she can remember what she has taken.

I have asked people what I should do and the consensus is that I should contact her family that has a responsibility to help her out. The problem is that I don't have those numbers and I can't get her to give them to me.

I'm really at a loss. Over the past few months I've been seeing her more and more. It's kind of like being sucked into a situation I don't want to be in. Honestly, this neighbor and I have very little in common (religion, views about relationships, philosophy of life). On the other hand, she is sad and lonely and very much needs someone. I feel called to be that person, even if I don't really want to.

If anyone has any ideas, please leave a comment.

1 comment:

  1. Well seeing she won't can't give you the contact information about her family, try just asking her what her children names are, where they live, etc. If you can get that information I would start seeing if I could find them. It's their that or call the police (NON emergency number), explain the situation to them, explain that you just want to get a hold of family to let them know, and ask police what resource if anything there is at your disposal.

    If it was me I would ask her about family, what their names are, what they do, where they live, and see if I could find them. If not then I would contact the police. I know that may seem harsh, the police, or over board, but I do believe that is some of their job....