Wednesday, April 7, 2010

A Blessed Easter to You All

Easter this year was a very moving experience for me.    A couple of years ago we began to attend the Triddum masses which begin on Holy Thursday.  It is a little like running a marathon, but so beautiful at the same time.  Each year I find that I look more and more forward to Lent and Easter.

On Holy Thursday our pastor washed the feet of 12 parish members in memorial of when Jesus washed the feet of His apostles.  Thus our pastor demonstrates his willingness to follow Jesus's example and serve the parish.  This year I volunteered to have my feet washed.  Fr. Mark gently and lovingly washed and dried both of my feet and then kissed them.  It was veryhumbling to see how someone can completely dedicate himself to others, and it was a powerful reminder of how I should be humble and serve my family in my vocation as wife and mother.  At the end of mass the Eucharist is removed from the tabernacle.  We are then asked if we will "remain and pray" with Jesus as he asked His disciples in the garden.  Charlie and I brought the children and then each of us took a turn with the Blessed Sacrement until the church closed at midnight.

On Good Friday we attened the Liturgy of the Passion of the Lord.  It also included veneration of the Cross.  That evening we also watched the Passion of the Christ, a movie I have resisted seeing thus far.  I though I would be sick, but it was good to see such a graphic presentation of what our Lord we through fior us all.

Finally, my favorite mass of the year-- Easter Vigil.  It starts outside at sundown when the new Easter candle is lit.  The choir does an amazing job and several of the readings are sung and chanted.  It makes for such a rich experience.  About one and a half hours into the mass we finally get to the opening prayer (Who says the church doesn't have a sebse of humor, Charlie says.)  This is also when adult and older children get baptized and/or become confirmed.  It is so beautiful!

Easter morning we get up and the children see what the Easter Bunny got them.  This year was extra special becaus ethe weather was so nice.  I don't ever remember such a warm Easter.  We barbecued and then went to the park and played bocce.

No comments:

Post a Comment