Thursday, April 30, 2009

Can You Believe This?


The BBC is being criticized by some for hiring a presenter with an upper arm difference to introduce their preschool programming. Although the comments weren't numerous I was surprised by what some people said Some comments were as follows:

"I question the logic of hiring a girl with part of her arm missing (and so obviously placed on display for kids to see it)to present cbeebies."

"I understand that in today's society we have to be politically correct. But how do you explain to a 3-year-old child why the one of the presenters has half an arm. She was extremely upset and confused by this and continues to ask questions.
I am not questioning the ability of the lady who seems very good, but I don’t feel that a channel which targets toddlers and young children is the right place."

It scares me the kind of discrimination that I know we will face in the future.
It also made me pause. I am not a huge fan of the politically correct movement-- it is too often used to bludgeon dissenters into submission, but sometimes things aren't politically correct as just correct.

You can see Cerrie Burnell here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK61ssge600



You can read the whole story here:




No comments:

Post a Comment