Thursday, June 11, 2009

A Lot Crunchier Than I Used To Be

I thought that as I got older everyone got more conservative. And I have. Although I was always pretty conservative. That urge that many young adults get to reject everything they ever heard and see what they believe to be true did hit hit me as hard as others. I have definitely become more socially Conservative, more religious, less inclined to have government interference in my life and less inclined to pay for it in other people's.

On the other hand, I also do some things I always thought much more liberal, march to the beat of your own drummer, mamas would do. I homeschool-- given people on both ends of the social spectrum do this. I cloth diaper, co-slept, and carried the kids in a sling as infants. I am still nursing a nearly two year old. We drink organic milk-- those growth hormones scare me and have been linked to the early onset of puberty. We recycle, compost and use lots of reusable containers instead of single use packaging.

Do we have different motives for doing the same things? Or have some gone left and others gone right and then we all ended up circling around to meet each other? Food for thought. Granola, maybe?

No comments:

Post a Comment